Pages

Search This Blog

Sunday 29 October 2017

YLG Nails 365 - Peel Off Base Coat Review and Tips


YLG Peel Off Base Coat India Review

YLG Nails Peel off base coat as the name suggests, is a peel off base coat..duh! The bottle holds 9ml of product. I think it's one of the two peel off base coats by Indian brands.









Formula
I believe this is a glue based base coat. The bottle or outer packaging doesn't mention any ingredients, so there's no way to be absolutely sure. The formula is alright, it applies smoothly without pooling or flooding and the brush is great for precise application. I've had this bottle for a couple of months now and the consistency of the formula is still the same. No going gloopy or anything.

YLG Peel Off Base Coat India Review


Application
- You need to apply two medium/thick-ish coats and wait for each coat to dry. I find that two thin coats just don't work too well.

- Drying time is a little slow, you should expect waiting for anywhere between 5-10 minutes in between coats depending on the thickness of your coat. The base coat goes on white and will turn clear as it dries.

- You absolutely must ensure you get an even coat. Usually I'll have great coverage by the cuticles and by the time my brush reaches the tip of the nail, the coat becomes thinner. Now this happens with any polish you apply, as the amount of product on your brush reduces by the time you reach the tip. Try and avoid this as much as possible, even if that means reapplying a bit on the tip of your nails.

The reason I recommend this, is to reduce problems with removal later as the polish peel often breaks off once it reaches the part of your nail that extends from your nail plate. Then you're left with a french tip of residual polish which is kinda tricky to remove.

TIP - Do not use this for every manicure. I find it works best when you're wearing thick glitter/textured polish. I would absolutely advise against using it if you're wearing creme polishes that are done in two thin coats. It does not come off well.

YLG Peel Off Base Coat India Review


Removal
Now this is the part where I have a love-hate relationship with this base coats. Sometimes it'll come off smoothly in one piece and other times I've to either hack at my nails, prying it off. See the pic attached. I was able to remove polish from 6 of my nails easily, the other 4 were a pain to remove. I had to remove a couple after soaking my nails a bit.

I was wearing this base coat when I reviewed Revlon's Showtime! Broke two of my nails that day as it refused to budge.  Check the post to see how long my nails were back then. So here are a couple of tips to avoid disaster.

1) I would not recommend wearing this for more than 4 days. I find it get really hard to remove the longer you wear it.

2) Try and leave a gap between your cuticles and polish/top coat. I find that this helps your nails absorb a bit of water and also helps water get through between the nail plate and base coat.

3) Try removing it after a long, hot shower. Not immediately after though. That's when your nails are at their weakest. I made this mistake when I wore this base coat last and broke my nails.

4) If all else fails, you will have to soak your nails in warm water for a bit, lets say a minute or two per nail. That helps peel it off right away, but you'll have to do it from cuticle to tip rather than sideways.

5) Be gentle during removal as I find this base coat rips up a few layers off my nails in a couple of spots, if I'm try to take it off too harshly. Bottom line, don't struggle with your wooden stick, hacking away at it. If it doesn't come off no matter what, do the next step.

6) If all else fails, you'll have to go old school and basically use nail polish remover to remove your polish. Then have a fun time peeling off this base coat, because it stays on even after using remover.

7) I usually use a wooden cuticle pusher to remove it or sometimes I use my thumbnail to take it off.I use my thumbnail especially when I have to soak my nails a bit, then I wedge my thumbnail between the polish and nail plate and gently peel it from cuticle to tip.

Final Thoughts
So I'd say this is a decent peel of base coat, especially if you have short to medium length nails. One of the top things about it is that it won't come off unless removed. I've seen  couple of other bloggers mention how their polish comes off on its own after a shower or other activities with other brands of base coats. UNT ready for take off, even though a favourite for many, is notorious for this.

Even with it's share of issues during removal, it's the only peel off I have in my stash so far.

No comments:

Post a Comment